If you want to fly your drone in controlled airspace you need clearance first from air traffic control. 

You can request this authorisation through the AirShare website or app.

You don’t need authorisation from air traffic control if you can fly your drone using a shielded operation.

The AirShare map can help you understand if there are any airspace restrictions where you want to fly.

AirShare – my flights(external link) 

AirShare – airspace map for drone pilots(external link)

What is a shielded operation?

Read more about the rules - Intro to Part 101 rules for unmanned aircraft

 Ask us about drones

If you have any questions about this topic, use our contact form, or email drones@caa.govt.nz