What you need to know regarding engineer licensing.


1. Complete form(s)
2. Pay online

Payment must be made before your application will be processed.

  • Have your CAA Participant number handy (if you have one)
  • Go to online payments
  • Payment can be made by Mastercard, Visa or internet banking
  • Note the receipt number and remember to reference it on your form(s)
3. Submit application

Gather all required information:

  • Receipt / proof of payment
  • Completed application form(s)
  • Required evidence / proof of eligibility (see checklist at end of each form)

Send application(s) with supporting documentation to lic.applications@caa.govt.nz.

Alternatively, we can still accept mail-in applications for unusual cases.


To obtain an aircraft maintenance engineer licence in New Zealand, you must pass 10 theory exams and have the necessary practical aviation engineering experience.


If you’ve received exam passes in other New Zealand maintenance exams – such as those based on the RNZAF technical courses or on the certificate of engineering aeronautical courses – unfortunately you cannot cross-credit them to a New Zealand AMEL. If you have an overseas licence that we don't recognise, you’ll also need to pass the ten basic theory exams needed for a New Zealand AMEL.

Contact examination provider ASPEQ for more information(external link).

You don’t have to attend any formal training courses to sit the basic licence examinations, but we recommend all engineers working towards an AMEL should consider formal training.

Part 66 AME licence syllabuses

Practical experience

Practical experience as an engineer in an allied trade may count toward your AMEL requirements, as might engineering experience in New Zealand’s armed forces. An allied trade is a technical trade similar to aviation trades such as automotive engineering, general engineering, and electronic engineering.

Keep a detailed experience logbook to show the range and depth of your experience for when you apply for your AMEL.

Practical experience gained in an overseas ICAO State, in an allied trade overseas, in the New Zealand armed forces, or in those of an overseas country can count towards your basic AME licence in New Zealand. Engineers with armed forces experience, and those who have successfully completed a traineeship in an aviation technical trade need 48 months of practical aviation experience before applying for an AMEL.

If you have no formal engineering training, you’ll need 60 months of practical aviation engineering experience before applying for an AMEL.

To have your experience assessed, ask NZQA(external link).

Practical Training Record (PTR) examples

Part 66 Practical Training Record - Generic [DOC 945 KB]
Part 66 Practical Training Record - Sample pages [PDF 25 KB]
Part 66 Practical Training Record - Sample pages [DOC 95 KB]

What else do you need?

You will also need to pass a fit and proper person test and provide us with an address for service.

For more information, see Part 66 rules and the advisory circular AC66-1 for guidance.

Ask us for a free copy of Becoming a Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Read Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Personnel Licensing
Read AC66-1 - Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Licence - General
Part 66 forms

Using your AMEL in other countries

Recognition of the New Zealand AME licence varies from one ICAO state to another. If you’re planning to move overseas, ask the aviation authority of that state for its current recognition policy.

Note, however, the United States does not recognise New Zealand AMELs, and need a supporting letter from us. Such a letter can be useful for other authorities too.

Arrange the letter before you leave New Zealand, because we will need documented verification of your experience.

Read more about our mutual recognition with Australia.

 Ask us about licensing

If you have any questions about this topic, use our contact form, or email licensing@caa.govt.nz